Become a member 

As an apprentice, student or experienced engineer, we have a membership type appropriate to your career stage.

For those pursuing professional registration, we offer Engineering Technician, Incorporated Engineer and Chartered Engineer.

What type of membership is right for you?

We can help you find the right type of membership. Answer a few questions about your knowledge and experience.


Professional registration for engineers and technicians

Professional registration is the definitive measure of a successful career in engineering, and is global recognition of your knowledge and experience.

  • Chartered Engineer (CEng)

    Chartered Engineers work independently to solve engineering problems with innovation or creativity. Their academic knowledge is at master's level or equivalent.

    Find out more

  • Incorporated Engineer (IEng)

    Incorporated Engineers are often involved in operational roles, maintaining and managing applications of technology to the highest efficiency. Their academic knowledge is at bachelor's level or equivalent.

    Find out more

  • Engineering Technician (EngTech)

    Engineering Technicians use proven procedures to solve practical engineering problems, and are able to demonstrate learning to NVQ/SQV level 3 or similar.

    Find out more

  • Fellow (FIMechE)

    Fellowship is a mark of exceptional commitment, knowledge and experience in mechanical engineering, and is the senior class of membership for professionally registered engineers. It also recognises engineers' contributions to the profession and the Institution.

    Find out more

Other types of membership

  • Affiliate membership

    Affiliate membership is free to apprentices or undergraduate students studying science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) subjects.

    In addition, anyone who is interested in engineering, including students aged 16 and over studying a STEM subject, can be an Affiliate for an annual fee.

    Find out more

Check your qualifications for professional registration

Not sure if your academic qualifications give you eligibility for professional registration?

Check your qualifications


Armed Forces and MOD

Serving in the Armed Forces or the Ministry of Defence (MoD)? You may be eligible to use a simplified route to professional registration.

Find out about our Armed Forces route to professional registration

Professionally registered with another institution?

Find out how to join us

Need some help?

Contact the membership team if you have any questions about joining us.

If you're calling from outside the UK, use the number below.