Armed Forces and MoD

If you are serving in the Armed Forces, DE&S or SDA (or have left the Service within the last 12 months), you may be able to use our simplified route to Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (Eng Tech).

Need some help?

Contact Defence Liaison Officer Lara Mallett if you have any questions about joining us as a member of the Armed Forces or MoD.


Support for MOD personnel


Armed Forces and MOD Awards

Armed Forces and MOD Awards

Recognising achievement in the armed forces and the defence sector. IMechE presents annual awards for serving RAF, REME and Royal Navy personnel and DE&S and SDA engineers.

Find out more about awards

IMechE signs the Armed Forces Covenant

The Institution of Mechanical Engineers has signed the Armed Forces Covenant, the next step in our work supporting Armed Forces engineers and technicians, veterans, and reservists.

Find out more

Meet our Members

John Vyse EngTech MIMechE

John is a Corporal in the Royal Air Force.

He is currently at RAF Marham, where he started working in Forward GEF (FGEF) in an Acting Corporal role. working on the new support equipment for the F35.

Find out more about John

Matthew Chapman CEng FIMechE

Matthew began his career in the REME as an Apprentice Armourer more than 20 years ago and has since served globally in various engineering appointments.

He joined the Institution in 2013 when attached to the Bloodhound SSC project.

Find out more about Matthew

Crown copyright from Defence Imagery