Royal Air Force

If you are serving in the Royal Air Force, or have left the Service within the last 12 months, you may be able to use our simplified route to Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (Eng Tech).

Getting professionally registered

The flowcharts below outline the professional registration process for EngTech, IEng and CEng.

RAF Application Flowchart for EngTech
RAF Application Flowchart for IEng (NCO)
RAF Application Flowchart for IEng and CEng

Not yet a member of an institution?

COVID-19 / Coronavirus: office closure

Please scan and email a signed copy of your application to the Endorser OR email in the PDF and take a photo on your phone of the signed pages and email all together.

Any hard copies posted since 13 March: please re-send as a digital copy  

We have a table of RAF career break points and our membership requirements to help you decide which level of professional registration is right for you.

Download a Royal Air Force application form.

You won’t be required to write a detailed report, attach proof of attended courses or create a Development Action Plan.

IEng and CEng applicants must have a Professional Review Interview with our panel of peers to discuss your achievements. They will then make a recommendation towards professional registration as an IEng or a CEng.

Military Personnel Professional Review Interview Guidance

You'll need to send your application to the applicable SO2 Engineer Branch or Engineering Trades Sponsor at:

HQ Air, Gauntlet Block
RAF High Wycombe
Walters Ash
HP14 4UE

Want to upgrade your membership?

If you're already registered as a CEng, IEng or EngTech and a member of the Institution (MIMechE) and you’re a Wing Commander (or above), you can upgrade using a simplified process. Just fill out a Member to Fellow upgrade application form.

If you are below the rank of Wing Commander, but believe you meet the Fellowship criteria, please apply via the traditional route.

Want to transfer your membership to us?

If you’re a CEng, IEng or EngTech registered with the Engineering Council through one of their approved institutions, you can apply through our Armed Forces Existing Registrant process.

Download the Armed Forces Existing Registrant Application Form.

Are you a Commissioned Officer applying for CEng or IEng?

Contact SO2 Engineer Branch Advisor for more information.

Are you a WO or SNCO applying for IEng? Or are you an SNCO, JNCO or Airman?

Contact SO3 Engineering Trades Advisor for more information.

  • Need some help?

    Contact Defence Liaison Officer Jill Dwyer if you have any questions about joining us as a member of the Armed Forces or MoD.