Corps of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

If you are serving in the Corps of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, or have left the Service within the last 12 months, you may be able to use our simplified route to Professional Registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech).

Getting professionally registered

The flowcharts below outline the professional registration process for EngTech, IEng and CEng.

Flowchart for REME soldiers registering as EngTech
Flowchart for REME SNCOs and officers registering as IEng and CEng

Not yet a member of an institution?

COVID-19 / Coronavirus: office closure

Please email your application to the Endorser either scanned with a handwritten signature or with an e-signature using an application such as Adobe Sign, E-Sign, DocuSign, eSign PDF or HelloSign.

We have a table of REME career breakpoints to help you decide which level of professional registration and membership is right for you.

Download the REME application form

To apply, use the career breakpoints and application forms listed above. You won't be required to write a detailed report, attach proof of attended courses or create a Development Action Plan. IEng and CEng applicants must have a Professional Review Interview with our panel of peers to discuss your achievements. They will then make a recommendation towards professional registration as an IEng or a CEng.

Download Military Personnel Professional Review Interview Guidance

Complete and return your application form to: 

SO2 Engineering Assurance
The Prince Philip Barracks
MoD Lyneham
SN15 4XX

Want to upgrade your membership?

If you are already registered as a CEng, IEng or EngTech and a member of the Institution (MIMechE) and you’re a Lieutenant Colonel (or above), you can upgrade using a simplified process. Just fill out a Member to Fellow upgrade application form.

If you are below the rank of Lieutenant Colonel, but believe you meet the Fellowship criteria, please apply via the traditional route.

Want to transfer your membership to us?

If you’re a CEng, IEng or EngTech registered with the Engineering Council through one of their approved institutions, you can applying to us through our Armed Forces Existing Registrant process.

Need some help?

Contact Defence Liaison Officer Jill Dwyer if you have any questions about joining us as a member of the Armed Forces or MoD.

Discuss your eligibility

Please contact SO2 Engineering Assurance, RHQ REME to discuss your eligibility.

  • +44 (0)1249 894508
  • MOD fees

    Get your fees reimbursed

    Professional registration for Armed Forces personnel is more valued than ever. You can easily claim your fees back.

      Pay your 2021 subscription fee
    • Request a receipt from us
    • Use 2020DIN01-061 to get your fees reimbursed from the MoD each year.