Royal Navy

If you are serving in the Royal Navy, or have left the service within the last 12 months, you can use our simplified route to professional registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Engineering Technician (EngTech).

Getting professionally registered

Not yet a member of an institution?

We have a table of Royal Navy career break points to help you decide which level of professional registration and membership is right for you.

Download the application form:

To apply, use the career break points and application forms listed above. You won’t be required to write a detailed report, attach proof of attended courses or create a Development Action Plan.

COVID-19 / Coronavirus: office closure

Please email your application to the Endorser either scanned with a handwritten signature or with an e-signature using an application such as Adobe Sign, E-Sign, DocuSign, eSign PDF or HelloSign.

IEng and CEng applicants must have a Professional Review Interview with our panel of peers to discuss your achievements. They will then make a recommendation towards professional registration as an IEng or a CEng.

Download Military Personnel Professional Review Interview Guidance

Marine Engineers

Please send your application to: 
HMS Sultan
Military Road
PO12 3BY

Tel: 02392 542338

Fleet Air Arm

Please send your application to:
Branch Sponsor, Navy Command HQ 
MP2-4, Leach Building 
Whale Island

Tel: 02392 625835

EngTech: Engineering Training Officer, RNAS Yeovilton or RNAS Culdrose, or Senior Military Instructor F35 ITC, RAF Marham.

Royal Marines

Please send your application to the Facilitator:

Land ES ASM Royal Marines
MP 4.4, Leach Building
Whale Island
PO2 8BY.

Tel: 02392 623259

Want to upgrade your membership?

If you are already registered as a CEng, IEng or EngTech and a member (MIMechE) and you’re a Commander (or above) in the Fleet Air Arm or Marine Engineers, you can upgrade using a simplified process. Just fill out a Member to Fellow upgrade application form within 12 months of retiring from the Royal Navy.

If you haven’t yet attained the rank of Commander, but believe you meet the Fellowship criteria, you can apply via the traditional route.

Want to transfer your membership to us?

If you’re a CEng, IEng or EngTech registered with the Engineering Council through one of their approved institutions you can apply through our Armed Forces existing registrant process.

Need some help?

Contact Defence Liaison Officer Jill Dwyer if you have any questions about joining us as a member of the Armed Forces or MoD.

MOD fees

Get your fees reimbursed

Professional registration for Armed Forces personnel is more valued than ever. You can easily claim your fees back.

    Pay your subscription fee
  • Request a receipt from us
  • Use 2020DIN01-061 to get your fees reimbursed from the MoD each year.