If you're considering a career in engineering, find out how much mechanical engineers earn and read benchmarking information.
In this guide:
It’s useful to know the expected salaries of engineers when looking to enter the profession or transfer from one role or industry to another. Here are some helpful resources.
• Engineering UK produces an annual report on the state of engineering in the UK, including salary levels - Engineering UK - free registration is required and the report is also available in hard copy in our on-site library
• Office of National Statistics Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings (ASHE) provides information by industry and occupation – search for ASHE 4 digit SOC, table 14
• Payscale - enter your job details, salary and skills and receive a free summary of the average salary for your peer group
• The Engineer magazine’s UK salary survey
• A web tool from The Engineer will estimate how your salary ranks against your peers'
• Aberdeen and Grampian Chambers of Commerce Oil and Gas Survey - you'll need to register for an account
• CIBSE journal building services salary survey 2017
Tables from these publications can be copied and sent to IMechE Members if they are for personal use, or they are available to consult in the library.
• Professionals' pay benchmark from EEF
• Technical rewards from Croner
• A survey of the fees charged by consulting M&E Services Engineers (Fees Bureau)