About the Railway Division
The Railway Division consists of members of all grades professionally involved or interested in the science and practice of railway engineering.
It covers research, design, development, procurement, manufacture, operation and maintenance of traction, rolling stock, infrastructure, plant and their sub-systems and components, within heavy rail, rapid transit and all forms of guided surface transport.
The Railway Division:
- Organises an annual programme of lectures, seminars, conferences, visits, awards and other events to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas – most of these events are suitable for engineers of all disciplines and others with a professional interest in railways
- Provides an international focus for technology transfer throughout the railway sector
- Promotes and encourages the value of engineering as a career and encourages professional registration and apprenticeships within the industry
- Raises the profile of the railway industry as offering great prospects for innovation and growth, in the engineering sector, in universities, colleges, schools and through the media
- Represents the views of railway engineers to decision makers and policy setters
- Promotes wider recognition and understanding of the importance of railway engineering in terms of its contribution to the economy and society
The Railway Division is governed by a Board and Executive Committee and has seven well established regional centres in the UK, each of which runs its own events programme:
The Railway Division also has a Young Members Committee.
It also runs an annual Railway Challenge competition which brings together teams of university students, apprentices and graduates and challenges them to design, manufacture and test a prototype small-scale locomotive.
100 Years of the Railway Division
To mark the 100th anniversary of the Railway Division, Allan Baker, Past Chairman, Railway Division compiled a history of the division. We have limited stocks and it is free for members and £7.50 to non-members. If you would like a copy, contact Governance & Engagement on Tel: +44 (0)20 7304 6996 or Email: email@example.com.