About Power Industries Division
Power Industries Division represents the engineers working in mechanical engineering fields related to power generation.
Find out more:
Who we are
The Division promotes safe, efficient, cost-effective, environmentally sensible generation of non-motive electric power at utility, industrial and community scale. We are an informed source of advice and guidance on power industry issues to Government and other decision-makers.
Power Industries Division North West Centre (PIDNWC)
A regional centre in the north west of England which organise a number of free events and evening lectures. It provides a forum in which engineering knowledge, experience and views can be exchanged between engineers working or connected with the power industries in the North West and Merseyside & North Wales regions of the Institution, and kindred institutions or associations.
Industries or disciplines covered
Fields of engineering include steam plant, internal combustion engines, renewable energy, nuclear engineering and related energy topics.
What we do
- Promote safe, efficient, cost-effective, environmentally sensible generation of non-motive electric power, at utility, industrial and community scale
- Identify and evaluate new developments and emerging technologies in mechanical engineering with the potential to impact the power industries
- Promote professional development of members
- Comment on relevant or significant issues in current affairs
- Link to the key employers and organisations and Institutions and Learned Societies to ensure activities remains business relevant
- Offer prizes and awards to recognise significant technical achievements, as well as members’ personal achievements
- Identify a range of events throughout the year, which enable and encourage networking, refining of skills and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for mechanical engineers.
- Provide an informed source of advice and guidance on power industry issues to Government and other decision makers
- Support a public agenda of themes to raise the profile of the engineering profession in the UK and internationally, particularly with students
- Provide a forward-looking technical strategy for disseminating mechanical engineering knowledge and best practice in the field of power engineering
- Provide a comprehensive source of technical information, through the journals and the Library service
- Engage with members and non-members by identifying knowledge transfer and Learned Society events.