In this course we focus on using project management skills, tools and techniques in a project leadership role.
Project managers invariably have to achieve results through others, usually without very much formal authority. This course focusses on using project management skills, tools and techniques in a project leadership role.
The course is designed to focus on successful people management within projects to ensure that stakeholders, project sponsors and project team members are managed effectively to give your projects the maximum chance of success. Whether you are currently a project manager, or are seeking a career move to manage your own projects, this programme will help to develop the skills needed to be a successful project leader.
The delivery incorporates practical sessions and case studies to ensure that participants have the opportunity to apply the concepts and techniques being presented.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for engineers and non-engineers at all levels.
How will I benefit?
After this course you will be able to:
• Understand why projects fail or go adrift.
• Define success criteria and success factors.
• Scope projects effectively.
• Manage the planning process.
• Develop the project team.
• Work effectively with senior managers and other stakeholders.
• Adapt leadership style as required.
• Delegate work activities well.
• Identify and understand team roles.
• Develop influencing skills and influence others to achieve the project goals.
• Understand what motivates individuals.
• Manage performance and get results without formal authority.
• Feel confident managing people to achieve the project’s schedule and budget.
• The challenges of leading projects.
• Project and operational roles compared.
• Key project concepts.
• Why projects fail – Some case studies.
• Teamwork and team development.
• Scoping projects effectively.
• The role of the project manager.
• The project sponsor’s role.
• Leadership and leadership styles.
• The art of delegation.
• Planning well.
• Managing stakeholders.
• Understanding behaviours and team roles.
• Influencing and influencing styles.
• Project communications.
• Principles for monitoring and control.
• Dealing with changes.
• Managing performance.
• Managing upwards - Working with project sponsors.
• Getting results without authority.