Project Managers have a demanding, complex and challenging role. Amongst other things they need to be managers, leaders, coaches, confidants, mediators, negotiators, architects and motivators.
IMechE project coaches work with project managers to guide, counsel, advise and steer them through the many processes within the management of a project.
Some of the areas that we could help with are:
- Defining your coaching requirements: your role, responsibilities, strengths, weaknesses, project overview, team capabilities and goals
- Developing the scope statement: goal, strategic alignment, deliverables, process, assumptions, constraints and structure.
- The project plan: identifying tasks and activities to meet deliverables, project costing, milestones, duration and dependencies.
- Risk assessments: coaching you through risk analysis to reduce the likelihood of crisis situations and have a robust risk-management process in place.
- Communication: improving your skills, preventing and dealing with conflict, meetings, accountability, team cohesion, motivation and engagement – and managing expectations.
- Stakeholder management and influence: one of the biggest challenges of leading without formal authority is ensuring that all stakeholders are fully bought in.
Your Coach can remain at your side for the duration of your project, supporting you in delivering outstanding work on time and on budget, whilst helping you to develop additional skills and increased self-awareness. They can also help you with post-project reflection, enabling you to grow from the experience and embed new skills.
The coaching process can help you drive innovation, give you a safe space to reflect and gain perspective and is a cost-effective and efficient use of your time.