Council Member Role Profile
Duties and Responsibilities
All members of the Council have the responsibility to:
- Regularly attend the Council meetings
- Seek and consider the views of the Institution’s membership
- Act impartially and honestly
- Take an active involvement in the Institution’s standing Boards and Panels
- Be familiar with the Council Constitution and Terms of Reference Work considerately and respectfully with employees and management – respecting diversity, different roles and the management/governance boundaries, and avoiding giving offence.
Members of the Council act on their own account, however where appropriate:
- Elected Corporate Members are expected to consider and take cognisance of the views of Institution’s membership (through active engagement with business colleagues, attendance at Regional events, personal networking, etc), while
- Chairmen are expected to consider and take cognisance of the views of their Division, Group or Region.
Council Member Specification
- Commitment to the Institution and the Engineering profession
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Discrete at all times
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgment
- Ability to think creatively
- Willingness to speak their mind
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Ability and willingness to support publicly corporate views not held privately
- Nolan's seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Recognition of the Institution’s Code of Conduct Regulations.
A member of the Council who, in the opinion of the Council, persistently fails to satisfy his responsibilities and after appropriate review may be requested to resign their position.
Guidelines for New Members of Council