Competition weekend - spectator information
Friday 30 June, Saturday 1 July and Sunday 2 July 2017
Stapleford Miniature Railway, near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE14 2SF.
Stapleford Miniature Railway SMR is a private railway. The Institution of Mechanical Engineers has obtained permission to run this event from the SMR Trustees.Pre event registration
Free tickets or tickets by donation are available on Eventbrite.co.uk
for this event.
On arrival you will need to collect your spectator badge and sign in with IMechE staff who will be situated in the marquee near the station building.
Getting to the event
- Postcode for satnav is LE14 2SF
- The route is down Stapleford Lane towards Stapleford Hall off the B676 Melton to Saxby Road.
- Continue over the railway bridge and carry on into a single carriageway with passing places.
- Continue over the humpback bridge and past the old farmhouses on your left. The main entrance to the field is the double gates on the left hand side.
- Please note:
- There is another Stapleford in Nottingham so do check you’re heading to the correct one!.
- The railway cannot be accessed from Stapleford Hall (the hotel).
Parking is available on site. Once through the gates, continue up the track and park on the grass on the left hand side.
Spectators will be able to purchase hot beverages and snacks from the catering van on site between 08.00 and 16.00 on both days. The catering van will be situated by the station building on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Catering will be provided at the Haven on Sunday during the Challenge runs.Spectator trains
The best vantage point for the track-based challenges will be on Sunday 2 July at The Haven. Trains will be running between the station and the Haven. See Event Schedule.
Spectators will also be able to walk down to The Haven, approximately 10 minutes from the Station building. As the walk is across fields, it is recommended that you dress accordingly, including suitable footwear.
Friday 30 June - Set up and testing day. No spectator trains will run
- 0830 - 1430 Static scrutineering
- 0930 - 1915 Dynamic scrutineering
- 1300 -1745 Maintainability Challenge
Saturday 1 July - Testing day. No spectator trains will run
- 0830 - 1845 Test run of Locomotives
- 0830 - 1315 Maintainability Challenge continues (from Friday)
Sunday 2 July - Competition day Spectator trains will run hourly throughout the day
- 0930 -1600 Challenge runs
- 0930 -1600 Spectator trains every hour (from/to station)
- 1545 -1630 Judges deliberation
- 1630 -1700 Awards ceremony