You can apply via the Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS) or independently through the Supported Registration Scheme
Monitored Professional Development Scheme (MPDS)
This is our approved route for graduate engineers, with more than 300 engineering companies running an approved IMechE MPDS scheme for their employees.
To join, you’ll first need to become an Associate Member. It’s easy to apply and you’ll enjoy membership benefits too. You can then use AMIMechE after your name on CVs and job applications.
- Guidance from a mentor – either a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer
- Opportunities for personal development
- Plan how you will meet the competences in your workplace
- Report on your experience every three months help you to keep track of your achievements
- Reports to support your application
- Participating in a scheme endorsed by the Engineering Council
- Assessment of your engineering competence each year to evaluate your progress
Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll then have a Professional Review Interview (PRI). The PRI is a meeting with our panel of peers to discuss your achievements. They will then decide if you’ve got enough experience to register as an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.
Supported Registration Scheme or non-MPDS route
If your company doesn’t have an accredited MPDS programme, then you can either register on the Supported Registration Scheme (SRS), or apply using the standard application documentation, which is sometimes referred to as the ‘traditional option’.
Through SRS, you’ll work independently, selecting your own mentor and assessing your development. You can find out all you need to know about planning, doing, recording, and reviewing your professional development using our Career Developer tool.
Once you’ve submitted your application, you’ll then have a Professional Review Interview (PRI). The PRI is a meeting with our panel of peers to discuss your achievements. They will then decide if you can register as an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.
Detail of how to apply can be downloaded here.