How do I get my University academic programme accredited?

We’re licensed by the Engineering Council to accredit academic programmes from universities and colleges that drive young engineers toward professional registration as a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer.

We can award a maximum of five years’ Accreditation. To get started, you’ll need to tell us about the programmes you want to ccredit.

We’ve split our submission process into two stages:

  • Initial Submission
  • Main Submission
If we’ve never visited your university or college before – or if your campus is outside of the UK – then you’ll need to complete the two-stage submission process.

Otherwise, you’ll only need to complete the Main Submission stage.

To get started, email or call +44 (0) 20 7304 6866.


Stage 1 - Initial Submission

You’ll to need to submit the Initial Application Form or the International visits – Initial Submission form at least 30 weeks before your accreditation visit.

You'll also need to send us the UK-SPEC Learning Outcomes Matrix (OSV5).

Make sure you save your documents to a CD and send four copies to our head office in London.

Stage 2 - Main Submission

After you’ve scheduled your visit, you'll need to send us six copies of:

  • Main submission – FormOSV7
  • Output Standards Matrix - IMechE OSV5
You can find these documents in our section below on guidance documents and application forms and need to send them to our head office in London within 12 weeks of your visit.


Your visit

Our Accreditation team will spend a day and a half with you and your staff, while assessing your programmes, facilities and laboratories and talking to your students.

Joint Accreditation visits

As a member of the Engineering Accreditation Board (EAB), we’re happy to arrange joint accreditation visits with other professional engineering institutions (eg IET, RAeS etc).

We don’t charge for visits – but some engineering bodies do, so check with them directly.

International Accreditation

We also accredit a number of degree programmes outside of the UK. For more details, download:

UCAS and EURACE opportunities
IMechE process and paperwork

Guidance documents and application forms

Need some advice?

To get started or ask a question, get in touch with our university support team.