First Year Undergraduate Scholarship
The Institution’s First Year Undergraduate Scholarships are available to students who are currently registered on the first year of their Institution-accredited degree.
Each scholarship is worth up to £9,000 for three years of a MEng degree-level course (excluding industrial years), and £6,000 for two years of a BEng degree-level course (excluding industrial years). The scholarship is renewable annually, subject to satisfactory progress being made.
Who is eligible?
This scholarship is open to exceptional students who at the time of applying will be resident in the UK, an affiliate member of the Institution and registered on the first year of their Institution-accredited degree within the UK and making excellent progress, to the standard of 2:1 or above.
Special conditions for applications
Candidates’ performance and responses to Questions 8 and 9 on the application form is an extremely important element of the selection process.
The application process includes a mandatory interview process for all shortlisted candidates.
- Short-listed candidates will be notified by mid-August if they are required to attend an interview, and will be given details of the locations and times of the interviews.
- Interviews have been planned for Wednesday 30 August 2017 and Thursday 31 August 2017.
- Unfortunately, if a candidate is not able to attend on one of the specified dates, then an alternative date cannot be arranged.
- The Institution is able to normally reimburse up to a total maximum of £100 towards travelling expenses to a candidate who has been invited to attend an interview. Candidates are encouraged to be economical in their claim.
How to apply
In order to be considered for the award you must be:
- currently on the first year of a UK Institution-accredited degree
- making excellent progress to the standard of 2:1 or above
- resident in the UK
- an affiliate member of the Institution
To apply, download the application form and reference requests.
Reference request 1
Reference request 2
The closing date for applications will be 30 June 2017.
If you have already commenced your studies and are experiencing financial hardship, the Institution’s Support Network might be able to help you. Support Network awards a number of grants to mechanical engineering students who are in financial difficulties, as well as those who need special equipment in order to complete their studies. Visit Support Network to find out more.