What scholarships/awards are available to students who are about to commence their IMechE accredited degree?
- IMechE Undergraduate Scholarships
- IMechE AMEC Undergraduate Scholarship
- IMechE Eaton Undergraduate Scholarship
- IMechE Land Rover Spen King Sustainability Award
How much are the scholarships/awards worth?
Each scholarship/award is worth £4,000: with students receiving £1,000 per year, for up to 4 years. This excludes the period of 12 month industrial placement. The scholarship is renewable annually, subject to satisfactory progress being made.
The IMechE “AMEC” Undergraduate Scholarships
Applicants should note that the scholarships are currently being sponsored by the Power and Process business of AMEC. Primarily in the nuclear sector. http://www.amec.com/ (main webpage) and http://www.amec.com/sectors/Nuclear/nuclear.htm AMEC may offer a placement to the successful award holder, who will be chosen by the IMechE's Selection Committee. An award holder selected to receive this scholarship will enter into discussions relating to any placement arrangements if appropriate directly with the sponsoring company.
As part of the IMechE Eaton Undergraduate Scholarship, Eaton may offer a placement to the successful award holder, who will chosen by the IMechE’s Selection Committee/Eaton Representative.
As part of the IMechE Land Rover Spen King Sustainability Award the successful award holder chosen by the IMechE's Selection Committee will be offered a placement with Jaguar Land Rover. An award holder selected to receive this award will enter into discussions relating to this placement directly with the sponsoring company.
Am I eligible?
Open to UK residents about to embark on their IMechE accredited degree programmes in the autumn.
Special conditions for applications
Candidates’ responses to Question 9a or 9b on the application form will be a major element in the selection process.
The IMechE Land Rover Spen King Sustainability Award is available for those who have a particular interest in sustainability. (Applicants must complete Question 9b.
- Mandatory for all short listed candidates.
- Interviews have been planned for Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 September 2013.
- Short-listed candidates will be notified at the end of August if they are required to attend an interview, and will be given details of the locations and times of the interviews.
- Unfortunately, if a candidate is not able to attend on one of the specified dates, then an alternative date cannot be arranged.
- All candidates called to interview will have reasonable travelling expenses reimbursed.
How to apply
Applications are now closed. Please check back in January 2014 (Closing date will be 30 June 2014).
Already commenced your studies and experiencing financial hardship?
The Institution of Mechanical Engineers' Benevolent Fund award a number of grants to Mechanical Engineering students who are in financial difficulties, as well as those who need special equipment in order to complete their studies. Take a look through the following questions and answers to see if this applies to you.