The Manufacturing Industries Division has a close working relationship with the Manufacturing Theme and Philippa Oldham (the Manufacturing Theme Manager) being a regular Member of the MID Board.
The Institution is a key member of the All Party Parliamentary Manufacturing Group, with both the Chairman of the MID and the Manufacturing Theme Manager sitting on the steering committee. The Steering Committee has been running an inquiry that aims to address the UK's Competitiveness within this sector. The report was launched at the end of 2013 in the Houses of Parliament.
Interaction with other Professional Bodies or Organisations
The desire for closer association with our manufacturing colleagues at the IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology) is high on the Division’s agenda and closer collaboration is being explored. Support for the Division’s many events is also forthcoming from other IMechE divisions and groups, fellow institutions and companies with an interest in manufacturing; the Division in turn supports other events within the IMechE and elsewhere which it believes to be of interest to its members.
The priorities for the Division are:
Dr Clive Hickman
Chairman, Manufacturing Division
- To provide opportunities for Members of all grades to develop professionally through a high quality, geographically accessible programme of lectures, seminars, debates and technical visits.
- To enable communication, networking and peer support amongst our Members both nationally and internationally creating mutual benefit, through a range of physical and virtual mechanisms.
- To represent the views and interests of Division members within the IMechE, and also in external forums, relevant opinion forming bodies, influential organisations, National Government and Devolved Authorities, thus contributing to the continued development and maintenance of a thriving manufacturing sector in the UK.
- To raise awareness and increase the profile of Manufacturing Industries through the celebration of excellence in manufacturing, design practice and research (MX, prizes and awards), and amongst young people, their schools and teachers (especially through the work of the excellent Imagineering charity);
- To offer informed direction, appropriate guidance and support to UK universities providing first and higher degree programmes in manufacturing engineering.
- Finally to work closely with sister Institutions and other bodies, at national and regional level in the UK, and abroad, to maximise benefit to Members in pursuing the Division’s Mission and objectives.
Date: 11 June 2014