Mechanical engineering careers guide
How to succeed in your job interview
Get tips and advice for a successful engineering job interview.
It's important to know the format of the interview in advance. Will it be a one-on-one interview or will more people be involved?
Try to find out. You’re entitled to know who’ll be interviewing you and what their positions are.
It's likely you’ll be asked technical questions to test your knowledge in a job interview for an engineering role.
Before the interview, find out:
• How long the interview will last
• Whether there's a practical side to the interview
• If you need to prepare anything
• The information on the company website
• What’s happening in the news that might affect the company
• Where the interview is and plan how long it will take you to get there
• How to dress appropriately for the position you’re being interviewed for
On the day of the interview:
• Bring multiple copies of your CV
• Avoid ‘yes’ and ‘no’ answers, but remember not to waffle
• Try and be concise with your answers and give relevant examples where appropriate
• If you don't understand a question, tell them, or ask them to rephrase the question
• Don’t lie your way out of a difficult question
• Above all, be positive and confident