Addressing the challenges of transitioning from engineer to leader and line manager, this extremely popular programme also provides the opportunity to achieve a CMI Level 3 qualification.
As the sister course to Leading without Formal Authority (which is aimed at leaders without line management responsibility) this workshop focuses on getting the best from others. It provides a practical framework for understanding and adapting to others’ patterns of behaviour and explores techniques for communicating more successfully.
Understanding how to influence and motivate your team as well as support their development is also vital. New Engineering Manager provides a comprehensive toolbox to build the leadership skills of an engineer taking on these management responsibilities, and to successfully navigate the complexity that the role demands.
To help you get personal feedback on your performance, you will be able to undertake IMechE’s Engineer360.
After attending this programme, you will need to submit a written assignment that demonstrates your understanding of this subject. If your assignment is successful, you will achieve the CMI Level 3 Award in Principles of Management and Leadership. This qualification needs to be completed within 12 months of the start date.
This module can be used towards the CMI Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Management and Leadership.
Who should attend?
Engineers who have recently become a line manager or are planning to accept a role as a line manager in the near future.
How will I benefit?
After the course you will be able to:
- Understand what leadership is about and how to balance and juggle competing priorities.
- Have identified actions that you can take to further develop and/or maintain trust in you as a leader.
- Know how to use the DiSC model to better understand and adapt to others around you
- Have strategies and tools to influence and motivate your team and developed the skills to have effective coaching conversations.
- Leave with a blueprint to facilitate and manage the process.
- Understand the stages that we go through in learning a new task, the mistakes that leaders often make and how to support the process effectively.
About the New engineering manager + CMI Level 3 Award in Principles of Management and Leadership
This CMI Level 3 qualification is ideal for those entering the management sector, in roles such as team leaders, supervisors, first-time managers, project officers and shift managers.
The CMI Level 3 Award in Principles of Management and Leadership qualification allows you to develop your knowledge of roles and responsibilities of a manager by focusing on specific skill areas.
Read more about CMI Level 3 qualifications