We have designed this course as a one-day introduction to the investigation, mechanisms and prevention of material failures due to mechanical and environmental factors.
This course provides professionals with an explanation of how and why materials fail, including failure investigation and prevention, as well as the mechanisms of fracture that can lead to component failure.
The knowledge gained will provide staff with an insight of how to specify and design products that are less prone to failure and to prevent repetition of errors should occur.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable for professionals who wish to gain an understanding of material
failures and procedures for investigation and prevention.
How will I benefit?
After the course you will be able to:
• Understand how components fail, why they fail in a given mode and how to prevent failures.
• Identify the various factors that need to be considered in material selection, design and the service environment.
• Recognise the basic features and characteristics of different failure mechanisms.
• Recommend testing or analysis that can help determine the cause of the failures.
• Gain experience in metallurgical failure analysis in different scenarios.
• Specify appropriate detection methods to prevent component failure.