This course is designed to enable you to engage with the main purpose of design reviews – improving the quality of design at the earliest possible stage.
Intended primarily for engineers and managers who are seeking to improve the effectiveness and usefulness of the design review process, this course is designed using theory and principles, group discussion and practical exercises, where delegates will explore both the technical and people aspects of preparing for and carrying out effective design reviews.
The course combines an appreciation of the formal aspects of structuring and conducting design reviews based on BS EN61160:2005 with an exploration of the ‘softer’ skills required to ensure that reviews engage all those who need to take part and prepare them to carry out their role in a way that delivers the best possible outcomes - designs for products that better meet customer requirements and are easier and cheaper to manufacture.
Verified by an engineer, Charlie Horsefield
"We’ve made some tangible changes since attending. The Design Review meetings have a completely different style with attendees from across Fulwood Packo, not just engineering, and there is a big emphasis on distributing material beforehand."
5 virtual classes (VCs) of 2 hours each.
Session 1: Key principles of effective product lifecycle engineering
Session 2: The purpose and structure of design reviews
Session 3: Preparing for a design review
Session 4: Conducting a design review
Session 5: Putting it into practice
- Essential pre/post session activities required
View face to face version
Who should attend?
This course is intended primarily for engineers and managers involved in design review - whether planning, facilitating, presenting or reviewing.
How will I benefit?
After the course you will be able to:
- Explain the purpose of design reviews and how they fit within an overall structured new product introduction process
- Apply principles to plan and carry out design reviews that provide more input to design in a way that it can be effectively applied to improve the designs
- Analyse the impact of the way reviews are conducted on the effectiveness of their preparation and execution
- Evaluate their organisation’s current design review process to identify areas for improvement
- Identify development actions for teams and individuals
- Create plans to prepare for and carry out reviews that produce high quality outputs that make real improvements in the design