Cookie Notice

We use cookies to make parts of our website work, and to improve your visitor experience.
If you only allow necessary cookies, some features of our website may not work.



Engineering news

Solar energy deployment jumps by 27% in 2020 despite pandemic

Professional Engineering

Of the new UK solar energy capacity, 60% came from ground-mounted photovoltaic systems (Credit: Shutterstock)
Of the new UK solar energy capacity, 60% came from ground-mounted photovoltaic systems (Credit: Shutterstock)

Solar energy capacity in the UK grew by 525MW in 2020, despite the huge twin challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic and a lack of subsidies.

The ‘major growth’ was a 27% year-on-year increase compared with 2019, said Solar Energy UK and Solar Media, which carried out the new analysis.

Of the new capacity, 60% came from ground-mounted photovoltaic systems. The remaining 40% was installed on rooftops, with the majority located on commercial and industrial buildings.

The increased deployment came despite 2020 being the first full subsidy-free calendar year. Subsidies will be available again at the end of 2021

Solar Media head of research Finlay Colville said: “The UK solar industry is now operating effectively in a post-subsidy phase with strong growth dynamics. The outlook for 2021 and beyond is expected to see continued deployment at the gigawatt-plus level, with investments now flowing into the sector for both rooftop and ground-mount projects.”

At the end of 2020, 13.9 gigawatts (GW) of solar capacity had been installed in the UK. In April 2020, solar hit a new all-time peak generation record of 9.68 GW, while in May 2020 it supplied 11% of all electricity.


Want the best engineering stories delivered straight to your inbox? The Professional Engineering newsletter gives you vital updates on the most cutting-edge engineering and exciting new job opportunities. To sign up, click here.

Content published by Professional Engineering does not necessarily represent the views of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.

Share:

Read more related articles

Professional Engineering magazine

Professional Engineering app

  • Industry features and content
  • Engineering and Institution news
  • News and features exclusive to app users

Download our Professional Engineering app

Professional Engineering newsletter

A weekly round-up of the most popular and topical stories featured on our website, so you won't miss anything

Subscribe to Professional Engineering newsletter

Opt into your industry sector newsletter

Related articles