About Powertrain systems and fuels
Who we are
We represent members who are interested in Powertrain Systems from internal combustion engines through all forms of hybridisation to full electric drives (including fuel cells) and cover the complete drivetrain and associated technologies such as sustainable/renewable fuels. Our sectors range from high performance, passenger and commercial/off-highway vehicles through to rail traction and marine industries.
The primary interest is in powertrain system design and integration to improve performance, emissions and durability to achieve the efficiency aspirations whilst minimising impact on greenhouse gas emissions and air quality.
Consistent with net-zero targets, our mission is to promote affordable, efficient, low carbon and clean transport propulsion systems by
- Encouraging consistent, evidence-based policy development comprising
- The use of life-cycle analysis (LCA)
- Minimising environmental impact in terms of greenhouse gas and toxic emissions from
- Raw material extraction, manufacturing processes, recycling, disposal and re-use/recycling
- In-use tailpipe and well-to-tank emissions
- Minimising societal and individual cost.
Industries or disciplines covered
Relevant technologies include:
- New materials
- Sustainable fuels, e.g. biofuels, synthetic/e-fuels etc
- Combustion system optimisation
- Pressure charging systems
- Air management
- Injection systems
- Engine management systems
- Electrification, e.g. motors, batteries, power electronics etc.
- Hybrid systems
- Fuel cells
- Driveline and transmission systems
- System integration.