About Power Industries Division
Power Industries Division represents the engineers working in mechanical engineering fields related to power generation.
Who we are
Power Industries Division promotes safe, efficient, cost-effective, environmentally sensible generation of non-motive electric power at utility, industrial and community scales. We are an informed source of advice and guidance on power industry issues to Government and other decision-maker.
Industries or disciplines covered
Fields of engineering include steam plant, internal combustion engines, renewable energy, nuclear engineering and related energy topics.
What we do
- Promote safe, efficient, cost-effective, environmentally sensible generation of non-motive electric power, at utility, industrial and community scale
- Identify and evaluate new developments and emerging technologies in mechanical engineering with the potential to impact the power industries
- Promote professional development of members
- Comment on relevant or significant issues in current affairs
- Link to the key employers and organisations and Institutions and Learned Societies to ensure activities remains business relevant
- Offer prizes and awards to recognise significant technical achievements, as well as members’ personal achievements
- Identify a range of events throughout the year, which enable and encourage networking, refining of skills and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for mechanical engineers.
- Provide an informed source of advice and guidance on power industry issues to Government and other decision makers
- Support a public agenda of themes to raise the profile of the engineering profession in the UK and internationally, particularly with students
- Provide a forward-looking technical strategy for disseminating mechanical engineering knowledge and best practice in the field of power engineering
- Provide a comprehensive source of technical information, through the journals and the Library service
- Engage with members and non-members by identifying knowledge transfer and Learned Society events.
Power Industries Division North West Centre (PIDNWC)
A regional centre in the north west of England which organise a number of free events and evening lectures. It provides a forum in which engineering knowledge, experience and views can be exchanged between engineers working or connected with the power industries in the North West and Merseyside & North Wales regions of the Institution, and kindred institutions or associations.