Bloodhound SSC ambassadors visit local schools to ignite the next generation’s interest in engineering, technology, science and mathematics.
We’re proud sponsors of Bloodhound SSC, an inspirational project to break the world land speed record with a 1,000mph supersonic car (SSC). We believe Bloodhound is a brilliant and engaging way to promote engineering to school children of all ages.
Bloodhound SSC ambassadors visit local schools to ignite the next generation’s interest in engineering, technology, science and mathematics – and have fun while they’re at it!
Does this sound like you?
Bloodhound ambassadors should be:
- Members of the Institution
- Willing and able to work in primary and secondary schools, to make engineering fun and exciting for children
- Enthusiastic and engaging as this role is to excite and inspire young children
- A registered STEM Ambassador
- Based in the UK.
Meet a Bloodhound Ambassador
Thomas has built up a good relationship with is local primary school and regularly brings engineering into the classroom with the Bloodhound SSC project.
What you will do
As a Bloodhound ambassador, you’ll be assigned a small number of schools close to you, that you will then visit and talk to the pupils about the underlying engineering principles of Bloodhound SSC; including the drag, thrust, aerodynamics, friction etc of a car that will cover a mile in 3.6 seconds.
You’ll help the kids make uniquely designed Bloodhound SSC balloon cars, based on an understanding of engineering principles discussed in the presentation. The children can decorate the cars then optimise and race them. This will be supported by worksheets based on the curriculum, information sheets on the entire project including the geography of the race location and driver stats as well as a USB stick with many more activities.
How you will benefit
By volunteering for us you could:
- Enhance your CV, giving you the edge in interviews
- Develop professional skills and experience (influencing, presenting, communication, public speaking and project management) which may count towards your continuing professional development (CPD) and accreditation by meeting competencies for professional registration
- Raise the profile of engineering as an exciting career to the next generation
- Build and maintain strong relationships with local schools and other ambassadors
How much time it will take
How it works
Register as a Bloodhound Ambassador
The first step in signing up as a Bloodhound Ambassador is to register as a STEM Ambassador.
STEM Ambassador registration is free, quick and easy. Once registration is complete you will be asked to write to the IMechE Ambassador Team confirming your STEM Ambassador status and express your interest in becoming a Bloodhound Ambassador. The IMechE Ambassador team will then pass your details onto Bloodhound who will confirm the final stages.
Download further information and full details on how to register.
Bloodhound SSC Education Toolkit
We’ve created a Bloodhound SSC education toolkit exclusively for Institution Bloodhound Ambassadors containing all the materials you’ll need for a school visit. The toolkit is free of charge and includes a number of activities designed to engage a class of 30 children for three to four hours at a time.
The Bloodhound SSC education toolkit includes:
- 2 A1 Bloodhound information posters with essential facts about the car
- 8 balloon kits. Groups of 3 or 4 students build cardboard versions of the car, powered by a balloon, and race against each other
- 30 A2 double-sided Bloodhound information posters with fun facts and images of the project
- 30 Bloodhound banner pens. Each pen opens up to reveal an image of Bloodhound and essential facts about the car
- 1 Bloodhound cardboard slot-together model for display in classrooms.
- 6 activity worksheets with questions and tasks concerning Bloodhound for each group of students. Activity sheets are for either 8-14 years or 14+
- 4 IMechE/Bloodhound books. These books are for teachers and Ambassadors, and provide background information to Bloodhound’s creation and the Institution’s involvement
- 30 Augmented Reality cards that allows you to explore the car in 3D, download for free from iTunes
- 30 Bloodhound chatterbox templates testing knowledge of the project
Registered Bloodhound Ambassadors can order a toolkit.
If you are school interested in receiving a toolkit delivered by a trained ambassador visit the Bloodhound website.