About Powertrain systems and fuels group
Who we are
These systems can range from high-speed race engines and passenger car and commercial vehicle engines to medium- and slow-speed diesel engines used in rail traction, power generation and marine industries.
The primary interest is in engine-system design to improve performance, emissions and durability to achieve the efficiency aspirations and environmental regulations.
Our mission is to promote affordable, low carbon and clean transport propulsion systems
- To encourage consistent, evidence-based policy development comprising
- Life-cycle greenhouse gas analysis
- Minimise environmental impact
- Toxic by-products of manufacturing recycling, disposal, re-use
- Tailpipe emissions to have no impact on air quality
- Minimising societal and individual cost
Industries or disciplines covered
Related technologies include:
- new materials
- alternative fuels
- injection systems
- combustion chamber optimisation
- pressure charging systems
- air management
- engine management systems
- hybrid systems.