Award of an annual Silver Medal for outstanding achievements in tribology.
The Silver Medal is a national award in recognition of an exceptionally meritorious contribution to the science and technology of tribology.
Value of award
How are Tribology Silver Laureates selected?
- The Tribology Silver Medal is a national award in recognition of an exceptionally meritorious contribution to the science and technology of tribology.
- The Tribology Silver Medal is generally considered to be the UK’s premier award for Tribology.
- It is awarded annually by the Tribology Trust, a UK-based charity founded by the eminent tribologist Dr H. Peter Jost (1921-2016), and is administered by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London.
- The Chair of the Silver Medal Panel, which typically consists of the last five Silver Medal winners, is asked to provide the TTAC with two names, along with all the citations and also along with their recommended name which the TTAC are not obliged to accept.
- The TTAC make the final decision. The Tribology Trust Awards Committee (TTAC) is composed of a wide selection of eminent engineers and scientists representing all branches of the engineering profession. They are not themselves tribologists and are barred for life from being considered for any Medal awarded by the Trust.
Closing date: 31 May 2022.
How to nominate
- Nomination pack - contains all the required information and consent forms
- Arrange for a mentor/lecturer to be your referee.
The Silver Medal for Tribology was established and first awarded in 1972.
Find out about