Our headquarters is 122 years old and needs extensive refurbishment for us to continue to be able to use it. We have developed a proposal to grant a long-term lease of 3 Birdcage Walk to fund the refurbishment of 1 Birdcage Walk, which was our original headquarters in London. We are now carrying out a consultation about the proposal. The Trustees have agreed that such a significant decision about our building will need to go to a member vote.
Ask a question
If you would like to find out more about our proposal please contact:
The goal of the project is to create a modern, inspiring headquarters which allows us to maximise our impact on government and society at large. A building which is welcoming to our members and the public, and accessible to all. It should be sustainable in the long term, with low operational carbon.
Our aim is to refurbish Birdcage Walk creating a centre of excellence for mechanical engineering as well as a sustainable building for the future.
- Secure our iconic Birdcage Walk headquarters for future generations
- Create a more welcoming building by improving member facilities and showcasing mechanical engineering
- Ensure we have a building which is appropriate size-wise for our needs and flexible to adapt to future changes
- Make 1 Birdcage Walk more inclusive and accessible to all, with fit for purpose independent access for wheelchair users and easier navigation around the building
- Showcase a low-carbon building in a heritage setting
Real Estate Strategy Group
The project was developed by our Real Estate Strategy Group headed by Trustee Helena Rivers. Meet the Committee:
Finance and Commercial Director
Securing The Future of Our HQ Video
Questions we are being asked and responses. If you have other questions not covered here please let us know and we will update this page.
Proposed floor layouts showing the split lines per floor and also the changes of use.
Please note the imagery used in this document is stock imagery and is not intended to represent the finished look and feel of BCW which will incorporate our own constraints and showcase our heritage and brand.
Details of the consultation carried out from October to December 2021.
Join our host, Dr Helen Meese, who discusses what lies ahead for our London-based home, and why it is so important to our 115,000 members.