Understand the true meaning of mental health, learn to recognise some common mental health issues and how you can help someone who needs support.
This virtual course will help you to define mental health, recognise some common issues, unravel some of the stigma and learn how to support yourself, family and colleagues who may be experiencing symptoms such as stress, overwhelm, anxiety or isolation.
“1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem of some kind each year in England. 1 in 6 people report experiencing a common mental health problem (like anxiety and depression) in any given week in England” – mind.org
With a clear increase in mental health issues in the UK, good mental health is vitally important for individuals, organisations and society as our physical health. It has an impact on work productivity, educational achievement, community and family relationships, social interactions and overall quality of life across the entire population.
“Despite an increase in people accessing treatment, around a third of all people with a mental health problem have sought no professional help at all” - mentalhealth.org.uk
So why is there still a degree of stigma around this area given that we know how wide-spread a problem it is?
On completion, you will receive a Mental Health Aware certificate by Mental Health First Aid England (MHFA) and free mental health first aid resources
Free mental health first aid resources
All delegates will receive:
This is a four hour course, delivered virtually, using a mix of presentations, group discussions, activities and videos to stimulate your learning and ensure maximum engagement.
This course lasts four hours and is delivered using virtual classroom technology, which includes a mix of presentations, group discussions, activities and videos.
Who should attend?
- Anyone wishing to learn more about and encourage positive mental health and understand how to support someone with mental health issues.
- Those in L&D, HR, health and safety, and senior management could all benefit from using this 4-hour foundation as a springboard for the more advanced 2-day course.
- New engineering managers who want to understand how to better support themselves and their teams, especially given the existing global climate.
- Leaders who are aware of the current, increasing statistics around mental health and would feel more confident in driving the business forwards knowing that they had the tools and education to get the most from their workforce.
This is an introductory course, so no prior knowledge or training is needed.
How will I benefit?
This introductory course has been designed to raise your awareness of mental health and help you gain:
- A balanced understanding of mental health and how to successfully challenge stigma
- Some basic knowledge around the most common mental health issues
- The tools to look after your own mental health and maintain resilience and wellbeing
- The confidence to support someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue or in distress
Delivered by expert trainers who have completed the rigorous MHFA England Instructor Training programme by the Royal Society for Public Health.