In this course we provide a basic understanding of the relationships between structures, properties and processing of the most important industrial metals.
This course goes further into explaining the terminology and test methods associated with key metal properties and the associated quality standards pertaining to alloy compositions and processes.
The workshop covers material processes through the use of phase diagrams and heat treatments to control the microstructure. Attendees will also receive guidance on the selection of appropriate metal alloys for specific applications. Knowledge gained will enhance staff efficiency through a greater appreciation of the technology underpinning metals applications.
Who should attend?
Armed forces personnel seeking for grounding in metals or materials science, and that wish to extend their technical understanding, from senior to junior staff in operations, technical, quality, procurement and sales.
How will I benefit?
After the workshop, you will be able to:
• Explain the key properties of metals.
• Discuss the pros and cons of various metals and alloys.
• Understand the winning and processing of ores.
• Be familiar with metal product manufacturing processes.
• Explain basic metal tests and specifications.
• Match metals/alloys to a variety of applications.
• Understand metallurgical terminology.