Awarded to members of the Institution who wish to obtain advanced training to supplement that previously obtained in mechanical engineering.
Awards are normally made for periods of not greater than one year to enable the recipients to obtain advanced training to supplement that previously obtained in mechanical engineering.
The Award is for the following postgraduate studies:
- A single module of a Masters level course
- A complete Masters level course (full time)
- A complete Masters level course (part time – limited to two years)
- An approved programme of research in mechanical engineering.
For a part-time course, half of the Award will be paid at the commencement of each year. The second payment is subject to the receipt of a satisfactory report on the first year’s work, which must be endorsed by the supervisor/head of department.
Extensions to awards will not be considered.
Applicants must have satisfied the academic requirements needed for professional registration at either IEng or CEng level.
- be currently resident in the UK
- intend to commence their advanced training course in the next academic session. If you have already commenced you are not eligible to apply
- have received an offer of a place on the advanced training course
- be an Associate Member of the Institution, or higher grade, at the time of applying for a scholarship.
Value of award
- Please note that there are a limited of number of awards available for postgraduate study, which are awarded via a very competitive process that includes application review, short-listing and interview.
- The Institution does not reimburse costs for attending interviews from outside the UK. Within the UK, reimbursement is for reasonable off peak and budget fares.
- The value of the scholarship will not cover all of the financial expenditure associated with undertaking a postgraduate course, and substantial other sources of funding are usually required.
- Closing date:1 August 2021.
Applications must be supported by three referees:
- Someone who can vouch for the advanced training programme, confirming you have been accepted and providing a brief technical outline of the course or research you intend to undertake
- Someone who can state how the James Clayton Award will benefit your engineering development
- Someone who can vouch for your character and suitability for the James Clayton Award.
Submit your completed: