IMechE Bulk Materials Handling Award for Innovation
Presented to the author of the best paper relating to bulk materials handling technology, presented in the preceding year.
The award aims to raise the profile of bulk materials handling technology and to reward instances of research, development or design which enhances the technology.
- Open to members and non-members, worldwide
- Engineers, scientists, students, researchers and academic staff, are all eligible for the award.
The work will be judged on the basis of a single publication submitted to the IMechE for consideration.
The publication will:
- be in English and have been published either in the UK or in an international forum
- have been published into the public domain within the specified timescale (the preceding year).
- preferably take the form of a refereed journal/conference paper, although a thesis may be considered, as may an un-refereed publication if it demonstrates a high level of quality and significance in its content
- be on research, developments or design that enhances some aspect of the engineering of bulk materials handling equipment, or takes, in some way, the technology beyond previous limits
- be original and be able to be demonstrated to be the work of the candidate submitting the work. The awarding body reserves the right to interview candidates to establish this is the case.
- The submission must be accompanied by a letter of support from the candidate’s manager or supervisor stating that
- it is the work of the candidate alone
- or where there has been a significant input by others, identifying that part of the work which is the candidate’s alone.
2017 Powder Blending, Michele Marigo
For his paper on "Using a Freeman FT4 Rheometer and Electrical Capacitance Tomography to Assess Powder Blending". Michele’s expertise includes manufacturing science technology, materials science, particle engineering and powder processing, discrete element modelling and finite element modelling.
2016 GEMM Database, Dr David Curry
Dr David Curry created a GEMM Database containing thousands of unique material models spanning a wide range of bulk material characteristics. Read more about Dr Curry's project and work.
2015 Graviload, Loadfast Systems
LoadFast Systems integrated several key aspects into the Graviload, including solids handling, material properties, FEA, DEM, controlling velocity and tackling dust generation.