MPDS encompasses all of your relevant training and experience before and during your degree programme.
- Guidance from a mentor
- Opportunity for development
- Ongoing assessment from a professionally registered engineer
- Reports compiled to support your application
- A scheme endorsed by the Engineering Council
MPDS does not guarantee registration as an IEng or CEng – you’ll still have to apply and attend an interview.
How to join the MPDS
First, you’ll need to register with us. Undergraduates will need to apply as an Affiliate member and graduates should upgrade or apply for Associate membership.
Complete the registration form and return it to us (our details are on the form) within three months of starting your job.
- Your registration fee
- Your scheme administrator’s signature of approval
- Mentor’s approval of your previous experience claim
- Your mentor’s registration, if applicable
- And your membership application if you’re not already an IMechE member
We’ll write to you with your annual assessment dates once your registration is complete.
To stay on MPDS, you’ll need to retain current membership with IMechE, which means keeping up with your MPDS and annual subscription fee payments. If you’re a full-time student, you don’t have to pay subscription fees until you graduate.
You’ll need to keep a record of your progress during the first few years after graduation. It will help you to remember what you've done and see what areas you need to develop. You can log this using Career Developer, our online system.
Along the way, you’ll need to:
- Meet regularly with your mentor to discuss and plan your progress
- Write a detailed report of your experiences every three months (with mentor approval within eight weeks after submission)
- Initiate an assessment of your engineering competence every year
You’re responsible for making sure your reports are submitted on time. You also need to keep us informed of any changes to your situation.
If you have any questions or problems, it’s up to you to discuss it with your mentor or line manager.
If you are a student, you can continue MPDS after you graduate. You’ll just need to re-register with us as an Associate, pay registration fees and start using the online system within two months of starting your job.
Before leaving your undergraduate placement, make sure that your mentor has signed all of your quarterly and assessment reports. You’ll need to show these to your new mentor when you start working.
If you change companies, just let complete the transfer form with your new details.
Ready to apply as a Chartered Engineer or Incorporated Engineer? Click here.
MPDS Support and resources
Students - Annual Assessment report
Students - Quarterly reports
MPDS Registration Form
Mentor Registration Form
User guide for Developing Engineers
User guide for mentors