Becoming a Fellow is recognition that you're a professional engineer working in a senior role with significant autonomy and responsibility. It is the highest level of membership and demonstrates your wealth of experience, commitment and contribution to engineering.
Use our Route to membership tool to find out if this is the right level of membership for you.
Who is it for?
Typically, Fellows are professional engineers working in a senior role with significant autonomy and responsibility and will be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- A position of senior responsibility and/or significant autonomy in your particular field
- Demonstrable leadership qualities
- Influencing policy and strategy making decisions in either a technical or business environment
- A structured approach to CPD
- The promotion of the engineering profession to young engineers and potential engineers
- Highly specialist knowledge in a specific area of engineering
- Technical or engineering resource management and/or personnel management and development
- Responsibility for a budget and the associated risk
- Application of a significant range of fundamental principles and complex techniques across a wide and often unpredictable variety of contexts
- Active development and application of new technologies in engineering and related areas at senior level
You can apply to upgrade to Fellowship if you are an IEng, CEng or EngTech member.
You can also apply directly to Fellowship, which would require you to fill in a more detailed application. We would also need to assess your competence to EngTech, IEng or CEng.
Upgrading from IMechE Member?
If you are already registered as a CEng, IEng or EngTech and a Member of IMechE (MIMechE) you will need to demonstrate evidence of meeting the Fellowship requirements. Find out how to upgrade your membership.
Not yet registered as a CEng, IEng and EngTech?
If you are not already registered as a Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer or Engineering Technician we will need to assess you against the competence requirements for one of these registration types as part of your application for Fellowship.
Your application for Fellowship and registration will need to include:
- A completed Direct Fellow CEng or Direct Fellow IEng application form, in which you will demonstrate how you meet the competence and Fellowship requirements.
- Supporting documents, such as evidence of qualifications.
- Signatures of two sponsors (on the application form). One of your sponsors must be a Fellow.
- An application fee
Exemplars and guidance notes are available: CEng Competence Exemplar, IEng Competence Exemplar and Fellow exemplar.