1. These terms and conditions are the competition rules for the 'Christmas competition 2014'.
2. The promoter of the competitions is PEP, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) of 1 Birdcage Walk, Westminster, London, SW1H 9JJ.
3. IMechE reserves the right to cancel or amend the competitions rules (including the eligibility requirements) at its sole discretion with or without prior notice (i) in the event of any occurrence outside IMechE's reasonable control (ii) to ensure the competitions are run fairly and honourably manner, and (iii) to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations and guidance. Any cancellation or changes will be then be notified on this page
4. In the event of any dispute regarding the rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a competition, the decision of IMechE shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
5. Employees of IMechE or any company involved in a competition are not eligible to enter the competition. IMechE reserves the right not to award a prize (and to select an alternative winner) if IMechE is aware or has reasonable grounds to suspect that a winner is not eligible for these reasons.
6. Additional eligibility requirements may apply e.g. a valid passport or visa (or the ability to obtain the same within a certain time) if the prize includes travel to the United Kingdom (i.e if the recipient is overseas and wishes to travel to training in the UK)
7. By entering a competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. IMechE reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants and disqualify an entrant for submitting false information.
8. The address you provide with your competition entry will be used to send any prizes or notifications so please make sure this is correct. This competition is open to participants around the world. You will not be eligible if you are a resident in a country or jurisdiction where the competition may breach any local law or regulation.
9. The competition is only open to those aged 18 and over. IMechE reserves the right to request written proof of age and/or identity of any entrant including the winner. Where no such written proof is supplied, or the entrant is not the requisite age, IMechE may disqualify the entrant.
10. IMechE reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant is not eligible or has otherwise breached any of the rules.
11. In the event that any competition winner is subsequently disqualified for any reason, IMechE, in its sole discretion, may decide whether a replacement winner should be selected in accordance with the competition criteria.
12. You may only enter the competition once and multiple entries from the same email address will be counted as one entry with the first entry being submitted being the entry counted. Where IMechE discovers or has reasonable grounds to suspect that any entrant has used any software or automated process to make bulk entries, IMechE may exclude such entries and disqualify the entrant from the competition.
13. Competition entries must be made in the manner and by the closing date and time specified on the entry criteria. Failure to do so will disqualify the entry.
14. There is no charge to enter the competition.
15. Proof of emailing cannot be accepted as proof of delivery. IMechE cannot accept responsibility for any error, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, entry lost or delayed as a result of server functions, technical issues, virus, bugs or other causes outside IMechE's control.
16. The selection of a winning entry is open to subjective interpretation and an independent member will be appointed onto the panel. Those appointed to act as judges or panel members will be competent to judge the competition and their full names will be made available on request. In all matters, the decision of the judges or panel shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
17. The prize winner will be notified in the manner and within the time specified on the competition criteria (and may be contacted by IMechE). Return of any prize notification as undeliverable or failure to reply as specified in the notification (and within the time stated) may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
18. Failure to claim a prize within the time given in written confirmation to the winner by IMechE or in the manner specified may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
19. The prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. IMechE reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time in its sole discretion.
20. Prizes are awarded at IMechE's discretion. Where entries are being judged on subjective criteria, the competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the competition if entries are not of the requisite standard.
21. All personal expenses incurred are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
22. Your entry and any information submitted by you must be personal to and relate specifically to you. You warrant that your entry and all information which you submit and/or distribute will not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or any other rights of any third party, and will not contain anything which is libellous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening. In addition, you warrant that you have permission to use or feature any people, content or other material contained within your entry. IMechE reserves the right to screen, filter and/or monitor entries for this purpose.
23. IMechE cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering a competition or as a result of accepting any prize. IMechE is not responsible for any technical issues in relation to any telecommunications or internet network (including in relation to speed or bandwidth), including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's device related to or resulting from participation in a competition.
Data Protection and Publicity
24. Winners may be requested to take part in post event promotional activity and IMechE reserves the right to use the names and contact details of winners and photos of them in any publicity.
25. Any personal data relating to entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and best practice. Data relating to entrants will be retained by IMechE for a reasonable period after the competition closes to assist IMechE to operate competitions in a consistent manner and to deal with any queries.
How to contact us
26. You can contact us in relation to our competition by writing to Learning and Development, Institution Of Mechanical Engineers, 1 Birdcage Walk, Westminster, London, SW1H 9JJ or by calling +44 (0)20 7304 6971.