About the Tribology Group
The Tribology Group is concerned with optimum machine design and maintenance to improve service life, safety and reliability.
Tribology is the science and technology of interacting surfaces in a state of relative motion, and covers friction, lubrication and wear in all mechanical contact situations. Tribologists are critical to the economics and operational reliability of industrial manufacturing, processing and operating.
- Stimulates the creation and transfer of tribological knowledge
- Promotes an understanding of the benefits of applying tribological principles
- Improves tribology teaching and research throughout education
- Provides a focal point for practitioners of tribology and for those seeking information
These aims will be progressed through:
- The organisation of conferences, lectures, seminars, training courses and workshops
- The recognition of high achievement in tribology
- Communication and collaboration with other industrial divisions and groups
- External communication and collaboration with learned societies and other organisations with an interest in tribology, government departments and the International Tribology Council
- The support and promotion of the Journal of Engineering Tribology
- The development of the Group’s website and network for members with an active interest in tribology