The Group’s interests cover all of mechatronics, informatics and control within a mechanical engineering framework. This includes generic technical concepts, the emergence of new techniques and the impact these issues and ideas on engineering and business management practice. The approach will be multi-disciplinary in philosophy with particular attention being focussed on interdisciplinary links with other bodies on areas of common concern such as educational issues; mechatronic systems; manufacturing applications; fluid power; and systems integration.
In the context of Mechatronics, Informatics and Control the key objectives of the group will be to:
- Formulate and recommend policy for the Institution
- Provide a focus for all relevant subject matters within the Institution and hence provide a means by which all Divisions and Groups can relate to policy
- Provide a means of disseminating information relating to the application of relevant techniques across all industrial sectors
- Encourage the submission of high quality papers and similar communications
- Communicate and co-operate with Divisions and Groups within the Institution and to interface, collaborate and exchange information with appropriate outside bodies at national and international levels
- Support, advise and promote relevant education and training within the Institution and to organise seminars and conferences
- Promote the development of research programmes
- Administer the award of the Bramah Medal
- Identify and evaluate new developments and emerging technologies in mechanical engineering with the potential to impact the mechatronics, informatics and control industry
The Group Committee membership will be drawn from membership of the Institution. Nominees of interested Divisions and Groups together with co-opted members who add value to the debate and progression of the Group’s plans will augment the Committee membership. Co-opted members will normally be chosen for their specialist skills and knowledge or by appointment from outside bodies as permitted in the Rules and as considered appropriate by the Group Committee.
To assist in the achievement of the objectives a Technical Committee, comprised of two Working Groups (WGs), has been established.
- The Mechatronics Forum covers all aspects of Mechatronics including fluid power engineering. The Forum will be responsible for liaisons with IET in respect of the Mechatronics and Robotics Professional Network. It will also be responsible for bringing forward names of a panel of judges to vote on Bramah Medal nominees.
- The Informatics and Control Working Group covers all generic and emerging technologies that relate to computer systems for supporting engineering business efficiency and effectiveness. In addition, it promotes all aspects of generic control systems engineering, control theory, intelligent systems and human-computer system design. The ICWG is responsible for liaising with the IET, IEEE and UKACC on all matters regarding Informatics and Control.
Both WGs will participate in the organisation of seminars and conferences. The structure will be reviewed annually.
The Committee will normally meet three times each year and the work of the Group will be undertaken in the interim by delegation to individual Committee members, WGs and/or to staff. The WGs will operate through physical and virtual meetings and report back to the main Group Committee at its next meeting through a nominated Chair. WGs will be able to co-opt members to address special issues, needs or events.