About the Biomedical Engineering Association
The Biomedical Engineering Association (BmEA) is the largest group of professional biomedical engineers in the UK.
Biomedical engineering, also known as medical engineering or bioengineering, is a diverse, exciting and relatively new area within the ﬁeld of engineering.
It is the integration of professional engineering with medical knowledge of the human body, such as hip replacements, pacemakers, computer simulations, artiﬁcial limbs, rehabilitation devices, robotic surgery, medical devices, assistive technology, sports engineering, independent living and modelling of biological systems. The BmEA works closely with the policy team in our Healthcare theme.
The BmEA aims to:
- Bring together workers from both medicine and engineering to discuss the latest advances and issues
- Enable networking among different industry leaders, and encourage best practice
- Promote this growing ﬁeld to government, healthcare professionals and the wider public
- Support the professional development of our members throughout their careers from students to senior practitioners
- Become the natural home for the biomedical engineering profession in the UK
The ﬁeld is rapidly evolving; there is a huge need for engineering input and there are excellent career prospects for graduates. Our members are typically working within companies working on the design, development and manufacture of medical devices, in hospitals or healthcare looking at providing non-clinical services, with government regulatory agencies and government or academic research facilities.
- Seminars, lectures and conferences, often jointly organised with other organisations to offer a programme that spans our discipline and raises awareness of our subject
- The high-proﬁle Journal of Engineering in Medicine
- The Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology
- A monthly Medical Newsletter, to receive it you need to select Medicine and Health or one of its subsets in the Industry category of your profile
- The highly successful annual Student Project Competition, jointly run with the IET
We welcome enquiries from professional engineers who would like to join the Board.
BmEA collaborates widely with other engineering institutions and related organisations. We organise joint events, work to agree common standards for degree courses and professional competency, promote biomedical engineering careers and encourage students.
Our future plans include the development of specialist centres in geographical areas where there are concentrations of biomedical engineers. The first of these is now established in Cambridge, and we plan to grow other centres in the UK and internationally.
BmEA Cambridge Centre
Following the success of regional centres of other Divisions, the Biomedical Engineering Association has set up its first Centre in Cambridge. For more information please email BmEA_Cambridge@imechenearyou.org or visit the BmEA Cambridge Centre website.
Visit the BmEA's Facebook page.
Join the BmEA's LinkedIn group.
Follow the BmEA on Twitter.
Visit the BmEA on Google +.